Pages

Friday 15 November 2013

The Moment Keeper by Buffy Andrews.


I have not heard or read any of Buffy Andrews books (which is ok as I enjoy reading new and unknown authors).  It seems that The Moment Keeper is her first book (she has also written The Christmas Violin due out next month).  The title, book cover and the premise of the book were captivating and imaginative and so I added the Moment Keeper to my Ibook Library. 

Despite my high expectations for The Moment Keeper, it was disappointing. By the end of the first chapter, I knew exactly how the book would end and I raced through the book to see if I was right…and I was. The idea of having a Moment Keeper is inspiring yet the information on the what, why, how and who a Moment Keeper is very sketchy (a few paragraphs at the beginning of the book and a sentence towards the end). 



There are a lot of useless filler chapters... you find yourself asking ‘So what? as you navigate through the intertwined (sometimes very loosely) lives of the 8 main characters, who all talk in clipped, short, simple sentences and who are all beautiful, smart, talented, rich and/or kind. They came across as very one dimensional except perhaps for Sarah, the Moment Keeper. 

For some reason,while I was reading this book I was constantly reminded of the similarities to Carrie by Stephen King but without the telekinesis and unstable mother. 

My rating for The Moment Keeper  -  3 Champagne Flutes

 




No comments:

Post a Comment